Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 05:55:15 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  flashing yellow light after dark
« previous next »
: 1 [2]
: flashing yellow light after dark  ( 14196 )
cedarman
: 370

« #15 : July 26, 2010, 07:11:09 AM »

Is there anything illegal about a law enforcement officer approaching a group of teenagers at night to say "Hi, How's it going?" Is there anything illegal about a cop "walking the beat" so to speak. It doesn't have to result in a bust, or even a search.  It CAN be a face to face meeting to let them know directly that they are being watched.

If kids are at an age that they just want to hang out with their friends, and you are concerned about their choice of friends, then the PARENTS have choices: keep them home; allow the "friends" to hang out at your home for a supervised visit.  Those are the things my parents did.  Yeah, at the time I thought it really sucked.  I felt like a social outcast at times because I wasn't at the parties that it seemed like "everyone" else was at.  BUT, the end result: none of us (total of 6 kids) ended up involved in a teenage pregnancy, none of us have criminal records, and 5 of 6 all completed HS and are working on (or completed) college.   There is NOTHING wrong with telling your kids "NO, YOU CAN'T GO OUT WITH _____, OR DO xxxx."  It will not kill them, or make them socially inept.

I am normally against MORE police, because it often seems they are more concerned with daytime revenue generation than nighttime crime deterance, BUT, as long as they are partrolling for suspicious behavior more than they are sitting (waiting for speeding motorist), I'm as willing as the next person in town to spend a little extra on local coverage.  In the mean time, I'll continue to exercise MY rights and defend MY home to the fullest extent the framers planned for.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #16 : July 26, 2010, 07:49:18 AM »

As I have been reading these numerous comments here, it would be interesting indeed to talk with Irving Geno and ask how he would handle this particular situation.  Irving, as many of you know, grew up here in town and spent many years as a law enforcement officer.  He could probably tell you many a story of incidents right here in town.  I would say he was pretty familiar with most shenanigans.

My youngest daughter was driving up Sand Hill Road one day and saw the pickup truck in front of her with her number plate taped to the back window.  When she told me, I called Irving.  I won't give too many details, but the individual had gone over to the BFA Parking Lot and taken one of her number plates off her car and duck taped it to his rear window.

Oh Yes, she got her number plate back

Henry Raymond
monte198
: 79

« #17 : July 26, 2010, 02:49:41 PM »

I agree that an ordinance could help the issue.  Either civil or criminal.  Both to generate revenue and to deter the situations.  From my as i was taught by my father there were two ways to learn.  Money and pain is what he used to say.  But why are we not talking to the land owners.  John Zeno owns the land on river road and has it opened to fishing, and i believe one of the partys own the land on shepardson hollow rd at the culvert.  Why not start with the land owner.  If they do not want to the post their land for trespassing an ordinance would not help the situation. 
cedarman
: 370

« #18 : July 30, 2010, 08:35:52 AM »

" to generate revenue"

I don't think we should be making laws to "generate revenue".  We have too many of those already (tax laws).  I also really dislike punative fines that are charged against people/companies, but the money goes into a general fund and isn't used to help correct damage, or prevent future problems.

Posting property would be good for issues like teens loitering, but trucks pulled over beside the road and then taking off after a couple minutes. I doubt posting property would do any good in that situation (it occurs and is over too quickly for police to respond unless they are sitting and waiting, they may still be in the right of way of the road and not be trespassing, and pulling over beside the road to talk with someone does not constitute "suspicious" behavior).
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #19 : July 30, 2010, 04:49:54 PM »

cedar is right look at what happened up in Brighton with Ted miller he singlehandedly  lost business for that entire town with his famous stop sign fines
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
: