Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 06:04:20 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  From Gary Gilbert -- Upcoming Week's Activities In The Legislature
« previous next »
: [1]
: From Gary Gilbert -- Upcoming Week's Activities In The Legislature  ( 3019 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 27, 2007, 10:09:20 PM »

The House Education Committee has been gathering evidence in order to determine what is expected of our school, and to meet them in the most efficient and cost effective manner. We have been learning about some of the cost drivers in education from the Federal, State, Regional, and Local levels. We are presently learning as much as we can about tax policy; for while setting tax policy is not the charge of this committee it is very important in determining how the educational, health, and social programs that schools are required to provide are structured, and how they are financed. We need to know which program variations are the most successful, the most cost efficient, and can be duplicated. We also need to know if the funding mechanism for needed programs helps or interferes with implementing the best choice of program in the best way.   

This next week we will be looking at three bills:

·   H 15 – Statewide School Calendar which would permit the Commissioner of Education to establish a statewide calendar which would allow school districts to work together to improve teaching and learning by sharing common inservice days, and minimizing school day conflicts by coordinating school breaks across school districts.

·   H.91 –  Rozo Farm-to-School, Ag. Educ./local foods would provide funding assistance to schools to coordinate with local farmers to use their products in instructional activities and in lunch programs.

·   H-88 – Educ. Property  Tax, FY08 rates would be set. The current law has a default rate built in to it and the legislature has the opportunity to establish a lower rate so that the education property tax or income sensitive educational tax does not raise more money than required for a given year. It will be reduced again this year.

(Remember to file your homestead declaration again this year. As in the past the education property tax is capped at 2% of household income for residents having a household income of less than $90,000 and a homestead of less than $200,000.)

Technology is wonderful when it works. When I returned home this week-end I learned that I have not been receiving e-mails that were sent to me at the State House. It is not good for elected officials not to respond to their constituents but it is worse not to respond to an elected officials spouse. If you attempted to reach me the last two weeks please try again as the IT folks in Montpelier believe everything is now working. Please let me know if you or someone else would be willing to help keep me abreast of local concerns.

I can be reached during the week in Montpelier by calling toll free at the State House 1-800-322-5616 where a message can be left at the Sergeant At Arms Office and delivered to me at seat 26, by E-mail at ggilbert@leg.state.vt.us, or at my home answering machine at 849-6333.

Gary Gilbert
State Representative
Franklin 1
Fairfax/Georgia
« : January 28, 2007, 07:38:29 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: